We’ve recently had the start of a new year and a new decade, and with that comes feelings of a renewed energy to make the changes we want to see. As part of this, our thoughts often turn to how we can be healthier and what we can do to start the year on the right foot. You may have also thought about how you can detox, especially after all those mince pies and glasses of mulled wine last month!
So did you know you can detox with honey? Here’s how!
- Fasting with honey water – if you’re looking to do a full on detox where you effectively fast for a set number of days (usually around three days) then honey can help. Fasting is something that you need to research to find the best sort of detox for you, and only then under medical supervision if you have any kind of medical complication. If you are going for a fast, drinking warm honey water in place of each meal is the basic principle. It’s tough, as you would imagine, but we’re told the after effects feel amazing!
- Honey and cinnamon – to add a little bit of spice, some people go on a fasting detox with honey water and a sprinkle of cinnamon added. Alternatively, this mixture can be drunk first thing in the morning and last thing at night as part of a healthy diet. The idea being that cinnamon helps to control blood sugar levels, leading to fat loss.
- Apple cider vinegar and honey – apple cider vinegar is said to help boost the immune system and improve digestion, so adding it to a warm drink with honey could help maximise your body’s natural detoxing process.
- Honey drink – warm water with a teaspoon of honey is a great way to start the day. (Just make sure you avoid adding honey to hot water as you’ll destroy all the health-giving enzymes naturally present in unpasteurised honey.) Drinking this each day can help if you have a cough or a cold, as it will help to soothe the throat and the antimicrobial components of honey can help when you’re feeling the effects of colds and flu
- Honey and lemon – the antioxidants in lemon juice can add an extra cold-busting boost to your honey drink. Simply add a squeeze of lemon to taste and enjoy twice a day.
- Honey and ginger – ginger is another ingredient that can help detox the body and get rid of nasty colds and winter bugs. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory too, which can help to keep bugs at aby.
- Honey as part of a healthy diet – sometimes a ‘detox’ isn’t about fasting or cleansing the gut. Instead it’s about eating whole foods, avoiding alcohol, saturated fats, refined sugars and fast food. This means filling up on whole grains, fruits, vegetables and lean protein sources. A teaspoon of honey each day, either swirled into hot tea or eaten straight from the jar complements this diet nicely, adding antioxidants and healing power to an already balanced diet.