These healthy and tasty waffles are an alternative to the bland shop-bought varieties. The carrot adds flavour and texture to the waffles, and the poppy seeds add a crunch. These are perfect for Sunday morning breakfast.
A drizzle of our Red Gum 10+ TA honey adds antioxidants and health benefits for a great start to your day!
- 200g porridge oats
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 200ml whole milk
- 120ml plain Greek yoghurt
- 3 free-range eggs
- Coconut oil or olive oil for greasing the waffle maker
- Banana, blueberries and Necta & Hive Red Gum 10+ TA honey for toppings
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/ gas mark 4 and lightly grease your waffle iron with a little coconut or olive.
- Measure the oats into a food processor and blitz for about 1 minute, or until they reach a flour-like consistency.
- Transfer the oats to a large bowl and stir in the coconut sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt, before adding the grated carrot, along with the milk and yoghurt.
- Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition until all the ingredients are combined.
- Turn your waffle maker to the highest setting and pour a ladleful of the mixture into the lower plate. Be careful not to overfill it or the mixture will come pouring out of the sides. Close the lid and let the waffle cook until it is golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the waffle iron and place on a baking tray. At this stage, it will still seem quite soft, so pop it into the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Repeat until you have 5-6 waffles.
- Top with blueberries, banana and a drizzle of our Red Gum honey. Enjoy!
This recipe was kindly provided by Nature Doc