Guaranteed to sweeten up your day, and your palette, this vibrant cake is a great choice if you are looking for something a little different from your more traditional Victoria sponge cake. Easy to make and delicious with a taste of the Mediterranean.
To make it gluten-free, use a flour alternative such as polenta. We have used olive oil instead of butter to make it dairy-free. We also recommend using honey as an alternative to sugar in order to make it refined-sugar-free.
- 175 ml Necta & Hive honey (plus 50ml for the glaze)
- 200g flour (or fine polenta)
- 200g pistachio kernels ground or chopped finely (plus 50g for decoration)
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (350F/gas mark 4) Grease a cake tin or line with baking paper.
- Mix the flour/polenta with the pistachios and orange zest in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, honey, olive oil and the juice from the orange together in another large bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until it is all combined into one cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased/lined tin and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top turns golden.
- Pour the extra honey over the cake just before it is ready to come out.
- Wait for at least 15 minutes and then remove the cake carefully and place on a plate or cake stand. Decorate with the remaining pistachios and orange zest.