These snack bars are the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The sea salt and honey complement each other well and create a melody of flavours along with the addition of the rich, dark chocolate which adds depth.
With protein from the macadamias and tahini, and antioxidants from the raw honey and raw chocolate, these salted honey millet bars also contain great nutritional value! These bars will keep in the fridge for a number of weeks so feel free to prepare them well in advance of a special occasion or event, they also make a great treat for the kids too.
This recipe makes 24 bars
- 3 cups puffed millet (if you can’t find puffed millet you could use puffed brown rice instead)
- 2 cups raw macadamias (or any nuts/seeds of your choice)
- 2 tbsp black chia seeds
- ¾ cup Necta & Hive Red Gum 10+ TA honey
- ¾ cup rice malt syrup
- ½ cup hulled tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1½ tsp fleur de sel (flaked sea salt)
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl combine the puffed millet, macadamias and chia seeds.
- In a small saucepan combine the honey and rice malt syrup and bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and stir through the tahini and fleur de sel.
- Pour the mixture over the puffed millet mix and stir well to combine.
- Scoop the mixture into a paper lined 27x20cm brownie pan and press down firmly.
- Place into the fridge overnight to set.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Option 1: Pour the melted chocolate over the pre-cut bars while still in the pan, then place back into the fridge to set, then slice into bars. Option 2: Cut the slice into bars first and then dip the cut bars into the chocolate so they are coated (as I have done here). Then place them back into the fridge to set, until the chocolate is hard, ideally overnight. This way is a little more fiddly and time-consuming.
- Store the bars in the fridge. They will keep in there for a couple of weeks. Enjoy!